Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Capitalism - worth every thin dime

The beauty of capitalism is that it benefits everyone. Even those without a lot of money. For instance I don't have a lot of money, but when looking for a woman in my life I can compete with the old rich guys even though I don't have as much money; for the simple reason I am younger and more attractive than old guys. Also if I sold pencils on the street corner that were shoddy compared to those sold at Wal-Mart, I could compensate by charging you a lower price to buy my pencils.

Gene Watson taught this better than I ever could in his song Paper Rosie. In the song a old woman named Paper Rosie sold paper roses for extra cash, but since they were made of paper she only charged a dime.


"The sun goes down in Calvin county.Neon lights from an old beer sign, shown through the window out on the sidewalk.As I walked in to pass the time;I looked around, sat down at a table.Ordered beef on rye and a glass of wine.And through the door came a little old lady.She was selling paper roses and they only cost a dime.Paper Rosie, Paper Rosie. She sold you Paper Roses. But they only cost a dime"

"Like a breath of spring I could smell the rose.It came alive and I heard her say.Buy my Roses, pretty roses.They're only made of paper.But they only cost a dime." - Gene Watson